Re-Igniting the Spirit of Caring (RSC) is a three-day seminar that engages, grounds, renews, and unifies staff from all disciplines within an organization. This seminar immerses direct care providers, service support personnel, managers, and leaders in the foundational principles of Relationship-Based Care and Caring Science. The focus of the program is caring across three vital relationships: the clinician’s relationship with self, with colleagues, and with patients and their families.
Participants experience a reawakening of joy and meaning in their work and a renewed commitment to shared purpose, goals, and a new, more authentic level of professionalism in collaboration with colleagues.
Organizational leaders report a positive impact on the unit and department culture resulting in improved collaboration across roles, disciplines, units, and departments as well as improved staff and patient satisfaction.
Susan Edstrom explains how Re-Igniting the Spirit of Caring (RSC) touches staff, patients, and their families. RSC is a three-day seminar that grounds and renews care providers and their managers in the many dimensions of caring. The focus of the program is caring for self, colleagues, patients, and their families.
Who Should Attend
Re-Igniting the Spirit of Caring is designed for leaders and staff across all roles and disciplines in all types of health care settings. Far from a nurses-only seminar, RSC gathers people from diverse disciplines together so they can rediscover their common purpose and co-create a vision for what matters most in their work.
What You Will Learn
Re-Igniting the Spirit of Caring helps participants transform their work environments into cultures in which personal responsibility prevails, healthy relationships thrive, appreciation is openly expressed, and caring and healing are the constant and core reasons for existence.
Program activities include multimedia presentations, small group interaction, journaling, and dialogue with patients and families about their care experience.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Relate the balance of body, mind, and spirit to personal and professional growth
- Identify personal and professional choices that create desired results
- Apply principles of healthy interpersonal relationships to strengthen and promote teamwork
- Describe patients’ and families’ perspectives on caring behaviors and participants’ personal intentions and actions for strengthening and/or implementing them in daily practice
- Identify a vision and key strategies for transforming your work environment to optimize self-care, healthy teamwork, and compassionate and humane care for patients and families
- Recognize and celebrate the power of appreciation and caring for self and others
Visible Results for Staff and Patients
Health care professionals participating in Re-Igniting the Spirit of Caring strengthen and deepen relationships with co-workers and reconnect with the core purpose of their work: caring for patients and family.
RSC participants learn practical skills and strategies which:
- benefit them as individuals
- improve relationships within work teams
- enhance the culture of the organization
- improve care and service to patients and their families
- When asked to rate the impact RSC had on their work, participants gave the program a rating of 4.75 (1=poor, 5=excellent).
- When asked to rate the program overall, participants gave RSC a rating or 4.9 (1=poor, 5=excellent).
- 100% of RCS participants would recommend the program to others.