Donna Wright, MS, RN, Consultant
A staff development specialist known for her irreverent wit, Donna brings a global perspective to her work—literally. She's worked on every continent but Antarctica, and she has her eyes set on that, too ("There's an infirmary there!" she says).
In this country and in over two dozen others, Donna's best known for the work she does based on two of her books, The Ultimate Guide to Competency Assessment and Relationship-Based Care (co-authored with several CHCM colleagues). The Ultimate Guide has been translated into Japanese and has become the industry standard for HR departments in establishing and assessing competency. Donna specializes in setting up systems for organizations to ensure accountability and measure competency.
Donna received her BSN and MS in nursing education from the University of Minnesota and has worked in staff and leadership roles in a great variety of health care settings and exotic locales including rural Africa. She has published and lectured across the nation on topics such as creative educational strategies, self-directed learning, competency assessment and validation, creative approaches to mandatory training, implementing shared governance, and creating a healthy work environment.
With her background as an oncology nurse and her extensive experience working with health care executives, Donna understands how health care organizations and the caregivers at every level within them work. She knows how to interact with people going through difficult changes: "I use humor therapeutically," she says. Donna is a past president of the National Nursing Staff Development Organization and received their "Promoting Excellence in Consultation" award in 1995. Donna lives in Sturgis, SD.
Leading and Empowered Organization (LEO)
Donna Wright, Creative Health Care Management Consultant discusses the three-day leadership course, Leading an Empowered Organization (LEO). Attended by more than 100,000 participants world-wide, LEO has provided development and direction to leaders since 1982. Donna knows from experience that LEO will change your life! Learn more.
Donna Wright, Creative Health Care Management Consultant, explains the three core elements for successful Competency Assessment integration to meet your unique organizational needs. Learn more.
The Secret Formula for Accountability
Donna Wright, Creative Health Care Management Consultant, states that accountability does not have to be a dirty word. Donna shares the secret formula for Accountability! Purchase DVD.
Areas of Focus:
- Competency assessment
- Creative educational strategies and approaches to mandatory training
- Implementing shared governance
- Relationship-Based Care system implementations
- Competency Assessment Field Guide: A Real World Guide for Implementation and Application. 2015. Minneapolis, MN: Creative Health Care Management
- The Ultimate Guide to Preceptoring. 2008. Minneapolis, MN: Creative Health Care Management.
- The Ultimate Guide to Competency Assessment in Health Care, 3rd Edition. 2005. Minneapolis, MN: Creative Health Care Management.
- Teamwork, In M. Koloroutis (Ed), Relationship-Based Care: A Model for Transforming Practice (pp. 91 - 116). Minneapolis, MN: Creative Health Care Management.
- Bricks in the Driveway. Creative Nursing Journal, Vol. 9. No.4. 2004 pp. 10-11.
- We All Need a Little Bit of Attitude. Video. 2002. Minneapolis, MN: Creative Health Care Management.
- Celebrating our Moments of Excellence. Video. 2002. Minneapolis, MN: Creative Health Care Management.
- R+A+A: The Secret Formula to Making Communication and Delegation Easier. Video. 2002. Minneapolis, MN: Creative Health Care Management.
- Role of the Consultant in Staff Development. In Core Curriculum for Staff Development. 2001. 2nd Edition. Editor: Adrianne Avillion. Pensacola, FL: National Nursing Staff Development Organization.